Possibility of adding a new patch status

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 11:53:20 CDT 2013

I think I've seen patches stay in the "New" state in the following cases:
 * He's convinced you do not have the ability to write a patch he
would accept. (There's a common pattern where people will take
feedback and attempt to revise their patch to account for it, but not
really understand the feedback or how to apply it. The only way to get
an acceptable patch in this situation would be to do the work for the
submitter.)
 * He's convinced you're taking a completely wrong approach. (And
generally someone has explained this in reply to a previous revision
of that patch.)
 * He thinks there's a good chance you'll revise the patch without his
intervention, and is waiting to see if that happens.
 * The patch is difficult to review, and he's putting it off.
 * He's travelling and does not have access to a machine that can
successfully run the Wine test suite, and he thinks the patch might
break the tests.

But I'm guessing based on imperfect memory, so I could be wrong.