talking about web-based translation again -- transifex

Aric Stewart aric at codeweavers.com
Fri Jun 21 13:22:05 CDT 2013

Hi,

Thank you for the information here.  I went back to look over transifex to try to understand why i had it on my list of services that would not work.

The issue with the community is that WINE's policies require that all contributors are identified by their full name. No aliases or handles. So translators who translate wine would need to provide their full name, and right now there is not a translation community that has this requirement, that I am aware of.

Hosting our own community would allow us to enforce that.

However with transifex the problem was begin able to generate the po patches from their database.  Since all the translation changes will have to eventually turn into patches against the PO files that are submitted to wine-patches we needed a facility to generate that patch set based on translator.  Transifex provided no facility to be able to do that.

Weblate looks promising but i need a place to be able to setup a test environment to really understand it and Jeremy Newman has been out all week.

-aric