[wine-devel] Re: Bug 24018 which appears to be a showstopper for running Cygwin on Wine

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Jun 28 16:59:54 CDT 2013

On 2013-06-28 22:07+0100 Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> --- On Thu, 27/6/13, Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:

>> [...]I asked
>> Arjen Markus, a PLplot colleague of mine with Cygwin
>> contacts, to try
>> and get the debugging process started with the Cygwin
>> developers.  The
>> response <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-06/msg00666.html>
>> to his
>> post looks quite promising.  [and now has arrived at a solution that
solves the fork bomb test].

> I read that thread with interest.
>
> However, I noticed that you have quite a few fundamental misunderstanding or lack of experience with cygwin.

Definitely the latter and probably the former.  :-)

> [....] However, being able to install [by alternative means than
setup.exe] does not equal to being able to run
[...]

I absolutely agree, but I am concerned that those alternative
installation means might be the source of the issue.

> You can try very simple things, like e.g. "cat fileA fileB > fileC", if you need convincing.

Have you reported this to Cygwin as a bug?  Their response to the
fork issue was extraordinarily fast.

By the way, when you report that possible cat bug to Cygwin, I am sure they will
insist you use standard means (e.g., setup.exe) to install Cygwin to
remove any uncertainty about whether your non-standard installation is
the cause of the issue. And they will also probably insist you
demonstrate the issue for the Microsoft version of Windows since Wine
currently has an uncertain reputation (rightly or wrongly but we
cannot say anything about that until the standard Cygwin method of
installation works) concerning its ability to run Cygwin.

You may have really found a valid Cygwin bug for their version of cat.
But I _know_ the MSYS version of cat works fine on recent Wine just
like the rest of the GNU toolchain used for building software so if
the MSYS and Cygwin GNU toolchain code bases have not diverged too
much it should be straightforward (and probably quite fast, if the
fork bugfix speed is anything to go by) for the Cygwin developers to
fix the issue if you prove it actually exists with a standard Cygwin
installation on Microsoft Windows.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin