[wine-devel] Re: Bug 24018 which appears to be a showstopper for running Cygwin on Wine

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Jun 28 18:54:56 CDT 2013

On 2013-06-28 23:13+0100 Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> --- On Fri, 28/6/13, Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
>
> ... But I _know_ the MSYS version of cat works fine on recent
>> Wine just
>> like the rest of the GNU toolchain used for building
>> software so if
>> the MSYS and Cygwin GNU toolchain code bases have not
>> diverged too
>> much it should be straightforward (and probably quite fast,
>
> Again, MSYS (i.e. Mingw) is not cygwin. This is probably an FAQ on mingw's web site. You really need to do some reading.

Hmm. I think the shoe is on the other foot.  Please read what I said
above which clearly acknowledges the well-known differences between
the MinGW/MSYS GNU toolchain and the Cygwin one.

> The Mingw GNU toolchain works wells under wine. The cygwin GNU toolchain don't, the last time I checked.

That may be true, but the best way to make that point about the Cygwin
GNU toolchain is with official Cygwin bug reports rather than
asserting stuff here in an anecdotal way.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin