Crash confuses me

Graham graham at sicklepod.com
Thu Mar 7 13:53:57 CST 2013

I use a LD_PRELOAD before running wine so that i can debug my application.

The library which is preloaded is able to replace system dlsym and from
that, other consequence library call.

There is no problem until, i put some Detour code(hot patching) into the
kernel32.dll.so address space.  But the very funny things is this
**    THE PROGRAM CRASHES BEFORE MY HOTPATCH IS APPLIED **

so it seems somehow  the order of cause and effect is extremely weird
and frightening to me. How can a piece of code which is not excecuted be
teh cause for errors PRIOR/BEFORE to its execution.  And this is surely
happening because when i uncomment the Hotpatch/detour lines the problem
goes away.

here are some lines from the crashs ...

err:module:attach_process_dlls "user32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for
L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe" failed, status c0000005
wine: Unhandled page fault on execute access to 0x7c9e4cd7 at address
0x7c9e4cd7 (thread 000b), starting debugger...
err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load
user32.dll.BroadcastSystemMessageW
wine: Call from 0x7b83ba92 to unimplemented function
user32.dll.BroadcastSystemMessageW, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function user32.dll.BroadcastSystemMessageW called
at address 0x7b83ba92 (thread 001d), starting debugger...

Another thing to notice is that this was tested using wine1.4.1

However it DOES work with wine1.5.10 ... to get something to work for me
is not the challenge, its to understand the logic behind why something
does not.

THanks a lot and I am grateful for any who contributes his knowledge to
this problem i am a real NOVICE