ntdll: make NtDelayExecution a bit more efficient

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 11:22:49 CST 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Graham Knap <graham.knap at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> >> i.e. commit 8099c2b9. JW says "... to more closely resemble Windows
> >> behavior.  The key is to yield in a Sleep..."
> >
> > JW is Jeremy White so us old timers chuckle now ;)
>
> I know the name, but nothing more. Why is this funny?

He's the CEO of Codeweavers, and he's the first one to admit he doesn't
write great code, or at least that Alexandre rejects his code a lot :)

> If the ancient wisdom isn't backed by tests there's a fair chance that
> > it might not be applicable today. Or that it was a wrong theory
>
> Interesting. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to go about writing
> tests for this. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

It's, well, hard to test. MSDN suggests it was true in XP, but subsequently
changed:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms686298(v=vs.85).aspx

I no longer recall which app it was Jeremy was working on fixing, but there
was at least one app that depended on this behavior. See Jeremy's posts on
"RFC: yield on Waits" and "Threading issues".
--Juan