Google Summer of Code 2013, Tools - Implement new control panel applets

Brock York brock.a.york at gmail.com
Wed May 1 00:19:04 CDT 2013

Hey Everyone,
I've been wanting to get into Google Summer of Code and Wine development
for quite a while now.
I was looking on the wine ideas page : http://wiki.winehq.org/SummerOfCode

I'm interested in doing the first one: Tools - Implement new control panel
applets, but am wondering what I would actually be able to do.
I've done basic opengl applications before but using a library like SDL to
do the lowerlevel stuff.

What kind of opengl test would be preferred?
Something like a port of GLXgears to wine or something that just tests if
it can create a Opengl context and then exits saying success?
I don't know how to test whether opengl was compiled into wine either,
would that be very hard to do? I've never had write code to test if a
feature was enabled before.

Any suggestions on what kind of test I should try and implement would be
greatly appreciated so I can try and get a proposal in.
I know I'm leaving it pretty late but I only found out it was open a few
hours ago.

For a background of my knowledge I'm currently in my 3rd year of a computer
science degree at my University, I also did a year of programming at a
college.
I've been using linux for 6 years but haven't been able to get to grips
with programming for wine I always get confused or lost when trying to
learn how wine works when
trying to debug a game. I'm hoping doing something like this will be able
to get me started on wine with a mentors help to guide me.
Thanks.
Regards Brock York