wineconsole screen scenarios

Hugh McMaster hugh.mcmaster at masterindexing.com
Thu May 16 07:04:07 CDT 2013

In my effort to improve wineconsole and its calculations of the largest possible window size, three scenarios come into play.

1. wineconsole with --backend=user (or more simply, 'wineconsole app.exe, in which case 'user' is the default).
2. wineconsole with --backend=curses.
3. wineconsole with --backend=curses, but no X server running.

Detecting the screen resolution is a simple task with (1) and (2). SystemParametersInfo for (1) and wine's own XRandR for (2) can be used.

My concern is with scenario (3).  Wine is designed to be used with an X server, but wineconsole can be used in non-X-based environment.  While this is possible, it would seem unlikely. Nonetheless, the issue has come up on the wine-devel list before.

The question is, should I worry about supporting such a scenario?