d3d9/tests: add check for D3DFMT_V8U8 support to avoid possible test crash.

Alexander Dorofeyev alexd4 at inbox.lv
Sat Nov 2 22:30:43 CDT 2013

On 11/02/2013 11:36 PM, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> On which GPU does that occur? Pixel Shader 1.x mandates V8U8 support afaik, so I am surprised this happens. I’m not opposed to this change conceptually though.
>
> Am 02.11.2013 um 07:23 schrieb Alexander Dorofeyev <alexd4 at inbox.lv>:
>
>> ---
>> dlls/d3d9/tests/visual.c | 10 ++++++++++
>> 1 file changed, 10 insertions(+)
>>

>> <0002-d3d9-tests-add-check-for-D3DFMT_V8U8-support-to-avoid-.txt>

The conditions under which the crash happened in generate_bumpmap_textures() were pretty artificial - a hack in wined3d/directx.c (select_fragment_implementation) to select the nvts/nvrc codepath and thus test/debug it, on Geforce8800. The only meaningful mention of D3DFMT_V8U8 I was able to find in DX8-9 sdk docs was in context of legacy/FF bump mapping - where they suggest checking formats before use. But if PS implies V8U8, then the check is unnecessary. A look at the online d3d9 caps database suggests de-facto PS and V8U8 are indeed linked.