win9x mode gone

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 05:39:18 CST 2013

Am 15.11.2013 um 10:12 schrieb Hans Leidekker <hans at codeweavers.com>:

> On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 15:10 +0200, Damian Ivanov wrote:
>> In my recent installation on openSUSE 13.1 with wine 1.7.6 I can't
>> find wine to set winver=win95
>> only nt based systems are available but with them my app crashes that
>> it needs win95
>>
>> Is win9x version gone in recent versions? Is it gone because of 64bit OS?
>
> Yes, you can no longer select win9x versions on 64-bit prefixes. You'll
> need to create a 32-bit prefix.
I believe it is enough to explicitly run the 32 bit winecfg, which still allows you to set winver=win95.

But is there a compelling reason to remove win9x from 64 bit? Setting a Win9x winver helps a lot with Windows 95-era installers that try to use ring0 instructions and expect the error handler to ignore them.