gdiplus: Implement GdipCreateRegionRgnData. Take 2.

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Thu Nov 21 02:53:27 CST 2013

Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:

> > I hoped that this is some kind of a joke or a test, and I simply didn't
> > get it, but looks like my hope was futile. It appears that just moving
> > existing structure definition (yes, they all exist in current code) to
> > the beginning of the file (so that it could be used in more places) is
> > forbidden without any real explanation. That's too much even for a person
> > like me with 14 years history of working on Wine, I can imaging what
> > new-comer feels about such a reject, and there should be not wonders
> > why he/she would go away.
>
> The structs were not used at all previously, only the variables. Now
> that they are used as structs they should have decent names.

I don't recall any rule for structure naming that everyone working on Wine
should follow. Simple grep in dlls/*.c source shows quite a bit of structures
with underscores in their names. How is my patch different from existing ones?
What makes an underscore in the private structure name unacceptable? Is that
just a personal preference or something else?

> > Alexandre, if you would silently remove those underscores if you really
> > don't like to see them I'd just probably decided not bother to comment
> > once I saw it in the commit, but plain rejection of the patch just because
> > of that looks at least strange and unexplainable.
>
> You also received comments from Vincent that you need to address.

I think that I've answered to Vincent's concerns, besides they have nothing
to do with the reasons this patch has been rejected, Vincent sent his comments
much later after your e-mail. If you think that I didn't address some of
Vincent's questions please ask for clarifications in appropriate thread.

> > I should add that this kind of a not justified rejection easily kills
> > any motivation to send patches at all.
>
> This goes both ways: every time someone comments on a patch of yours,
> you reply defensively and state that you refuse to make the requested
> changes. That doesn't exactly encourage giving you good feedback.

I don't think that my replies are that bad in general, and definitely not
every time. I'm always trying to do my best regarding technical side of
the things.

I think that a person spending his/her own time (and often without any
payment at all) deserves slightly more respect regarding his/her work.
Just try sometimes pretend that you are one of us pure people who sends
a patch to somebody else and completely depends on that person's decision,
but instead he/she sees "I don't give good feedback, you are too defensive
about your patches". It's called "persistense", and without it it's often
impossible to get any patch committed in this project.

--
Dmitry.