Daemonizing wine (fix for issue #15462)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Nov 27 03:52:30 CST 2013

Micha Nelissen <micha at neli.hopto.org> writes:

> On 27-11-13 09:46, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>> You can always start the wineserver separately if you want to send its
>> output somewhere else. I don't think there's a need for an elaborate
>> mechanism for this.
>
> I don't know wine very well, but there is also wineboot, and I've also
> seen services.exe being started, and Run and RunServices from the
> registry, so it's about more than only wineserver.

Sure, you just have to run some wine binary first, like winepath, to
start all system processes with the stderr you want. That's easy to do
with a simple shell alias.

The point is that getting diagnostics on stderr is a valuable tool for
figuring out problems, and we cannot sacrifice that for the very
uncommon case of running a script with redirected stderr. So any
solution to this issue has to preserve the display of errors on stderr
by default.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org