BiDi, Unicode 6.3 and Wine.

Aric Stewart aric at codeweavers.com
Fri Oct 4 07:54:19 CDT 2013

Hello,

  So Unicode 6.3 was just recently released. One of the things it features is an updated BIDI (Bidirectional) algorithm. This is revision 29 to the algorithm. (http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/tr9-29.html#Modifications) Looking at the code I moved from gdi32 to usp10, it looks like the existing code is based off of revision 17. This implementation was originally by Shachar and Maarten. I simply integrated it into uniscribe.

  I am tempted to update our code to match the revision 29 version of the algorithm. But this raises a question. Right now our code mostly correctly mimics Windows. It may be that I am not testing the correct edge cases that would reveal if windows is coded to a later version of the algorithm or not. But if we update to revision 29 then we will almost assuredly be using a later version of the algorithm.

  What is more important to us in this regard?  Do we want to have the latest algorithm based on the unicode standard, or do we want to try to match the algorithm that Windows makes use of?

  Thanks!
-aric