Patch for bug 34388

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 10:24:31 CDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Charles Davis <cdavis5x at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2013, at 5:01 PM, Juan Lang wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Charles Davis <cdavis5x at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe then the real fix is to make Wine accept either a constructor SET
>> or the custom tag (ASN_CONTEXT | ASN_CONSTRUCTOR) it currently accepts, for
>> either attribute set. I should come up with a test case first, though, to
>> see if that's what Windows does. I'll get back to you on that.
>>

> Yeah, that seems plausible, as either some sort of BER/DER thing or just
> two alternate encodings for the same value. I'm not certain, but tests will
> definitely help.
>
> So much for that theory.
>
> I tried twice to replace the CONSTRUCTOR | CONTEXT tag with the generic
> CONSTRUCTOR | SET tag (jobs 2057 and 2058 on newtestbot). Both times,
> Crypto bailed out. I don't think Windows will accept a CONSTRUCTOR | SET
> tag there under any circumstances. I think we're seriously screwing up
> somewhere reading the code signature. Trouble is, I don't know where, or if
> this is even a problem in Wine at all--it might be peculiar to my system.
> (The other Wine users who reported being unable to run the Star Citizen
> Launcher because of this were missing a root CA.)

If you've got the signature that was failing, please keep it handy, and we
can make it into a test case. If not, keep an eye on it to see if it
recurs. What I've done in the past is to modify crypt32 to write a failing
cert, sig, whatever to /tmp, and made a test case out of it.

I don't know why, but strangely, the problem with the Launcher that
> prompted my patch seems to have gone away (at least, on my system) with the
> update they just released. Maybe it's related to the problems a few people
> were having with this on Windows. Maybe the signature really was malformed.

That wouldn't be unheard of. I've forgotten which game it was, but at least
once some game server was sending a malformed signature that happened to
work on some broken Windows systems. IIRC, they ended up fixing it once a
Windows service pack started rejecting it.
--Juan