The (broken) state of the WineTestBot

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Fri Apr 18 16:25:21 CDT 2014

The new VM box is operational. It has an Intel Xeon E3-1230 and thus
relies on kvm_intel instead of kvm_amd. But with the 3.13.1 kernel the
VMs are still getting corrupted after a few hours :-( I have no idea why
and I've never seen that issue on my personal box so I also have no idea
how to figure out what's really going on.

So the VM host is back to the 3.2.0 kernel. Since then I did not have
not had a VM go bad.

Then I moved on to restoring and updating the VMs. That's now done
except for the two Vista VMs which I'll get to next. Here's what's new:

 * w2000pro - Windows 2000 Professional
   IPX (bug 35239) and AppleTalk support has been activated for its
   network card. I also 'inserted' the MemTest86 CD for the
   kernel32:volume test (bug 31780).

 * wxppro - Windows XP Professional
   It has all the updates it will ever get since its support period has
   now expired. As before it has WinPcap installed.

 * w2008s64 - Windows 2008 Server (64-bits)
   This VM now has two network cards.

 * w7u - Windows 7 Ultimate
   As with the other VMs I applied all Windows updates up to 2014/04/15,
   which means it now has Internet Explorer 11. As it's an Ultimate
   version I installed all the languages. Currently it's set up for
   Japanese but I can set it up for another language if desired. I also
   'inserted' the MemTest86 CD so one can compare it with the equivalent
   in the Windows 2000 VM.

 * w7pro64 - Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
   It has all the latest Windows updates so it has Internet Explorer 11
   too. However it's a plain English environment so you can use detect
   locale issue by comparing it with the results of the w7u VM.

 * w8 - Windows 8
   This has all the latest updates which means it's now running Windows
   8.1 plus the Windows 8.1 Update. As before it also has the optional
   Direct X components, msxml4, and the Visual C++ runtime environments.
   And of course it now has Internet Explorer 11.

 * w864 - Windows 8 (64-bit)
   Like the previous VM it has all the updates and thus is running the
   Windows 8.1 Update and Internet Explorer 11, but without all the
   extras.

If there's interest it's possible to run a VM from another snapshot, to
test Windows 8.1 pre-Windows 8.1 for instance.

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>