Rename "Version" field to "Earliest Affected Version" in Bugzilla?

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Mon Feb 10 01:28:48 CST 2014

Jerome Leclanche <adys.wh at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Probably.  :)  There's a reason why I said "reduced" and not "eliminated" in the above.  People will always be people.
> >
> > In reality Wine version should be set to the one that user had used
> > at the time it experianced the problem he/she were reporting. That's
> > neither earliest nor the latest one, it's the one used at the bug
> > reporting time.
> >
> > --
> > Dmitry.
> >

> What is the reasoning behind that, really? What is the point of having
> a version field that tells the developers absolutely nothing?

One need to be a developer to comment on this I'd guess, but telling an
exact used Wine version in the bug report is already a very good start.

> As it stands the version field is only useful for a split second at
> report time to tell users "The version you're using is too old". This
> could be automated with a bit of javascript and prevent unnecessary
> reports.

Reports for too old versions could be avoided by not listing old versions
at all, and telling a user that if he/she can't find his/her version in
the list to upgrade.

--
Dmitry.