Rename "Version" field to "Earliest Affected Version" in Bugzilla?

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Mon Feb 10 03:01:20 CST 2014

On 02/10/2014 08:47 AM, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at baikal.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Reports for too old versions could be avoided by not listing old versions
>> at all, and telling a user that if he/she can't find his/her version in
>> the list to upgrade.
>
> I'd be in favour of dropping old versions, unfortunately I believe
> this involves thousands of existing bugs losing their current version
> field.
The best solution would be to keep the old versions but filter them out
from the drop down that is presented to the users.

> Then again, I hate bugzilla and the new bug page is a UX disaster. The
> minuscule scroll areas for component/version, the attachment size
> limit which gives no warning at that point (and simply disappears once
> the bug is filed)...
> While we're talking about changes to the new bug UI, I'd like to
> suggest dropping Component from there altogether and put it in
> advanced fields (if editable by users at all - you need a pretty deep
> understanding of wine/windows APIs to pick one).
The Component field is useful though I would prefer if we could drop
the "directx-" prefix from the components that have it. The "Comp" field
in the bug listings is too short and shows only "directx-".

bye
	michael