Assorted spelling fixes

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 03:14:50 CST 2014

On 16 February 2014 09:57, Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at baikal.ru> wrote:
> In my years of University the students were told to remember that
> 1Kb == 1024 bytes, 1Mb == 1024Kb and size prefixes should be written
> as a capital letter to emphasize its meaning. I'm very reluctant to
> change this practice to something else regardless of explanations and
> intents. I understand that for not technical people 1K == 1000, but
> I'd assume programmers are not of that kind.

Strictly speaking the SI units are kB, etc. for 1000 bytes, and IEC
KiB, etc. for 1024 bytes. For memory sizes, it's usually obvious
enough from context which one is meant, so there's not much of a point
to change it. It's more ambiguous for e.g. file or disk sizes where
drive vendors often use 1000 based units, and transfer speeds where
"b" usually means bits.

But as I said, in most cases it's obvious enough from context, and
"KB" instead of "Kb" isn't really much clearer.