Why using WINE not ReactOS-programs?

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Fri Feb 21 04:41:17 CST 2014

On 02/21/14 01:43, theUser BL wrote:
> What stands on the WINE main-side for one of the new features of WINE 1.7.13?
> »More Windows Media Player stubs.«

First of all, you should know that it's not about WMP the application,
but it's about libraries that WMP provides, allowing other applications
to use its functionality (or even embed its GUI). Adding stubs allows
such application to generally work, just without functionalities that
require full WMP implementation. We may support some applications by
just implementing subset of WMP libraries, for example just sound
support for apps that use its hidden control to play music.

> So you do not only reimplementing the platform. You also reimplement the MediaPlayer, the InternetExplorer, Wordpad, etc.

As for IE it's a similar story - it is used by many apps that embed HTML
or WebBrowser control.

> A month ago, I already asked in the forum, why you don't take ReactOS programs for WINE:
> http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20836
>
> There are programs under the GPL. But some are under the LGPL. For example mspaint:
> http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trunk/reactos/base/applications/mspaint/
>
> It can be possible, that there are programs for Windows, which makes use of mspaint and wants to start it, because it exists since Windows 95. So any Windows-developer can assume, that mspaint exists on the system.
> Same with some other programs.

The main reason to include such programs is a compatibility required by
Windows software. I believe that such programs could be included in
Wine, but that would require submitting them to Wine, preferably by the
original author, in the usual way. Their source code would need to meet
Wine expectations and standards.

Cheers,
Jacek