schedsvc: Add Task Scheduler service. Try 2.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Mar 6 05:46:58 CST 2014

Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at baikal.ru> writes:

> Well, I've been thinking of it, and a Wine session lifetime could be
> considered as a short-living Windows machine, with all the limitations.
> And there are a lot of various things that the task scheduler is able
> to do that I don't know how could be mapped say into cron for instance,
> like executing a COM handler, or supporting many kinds of triggers.
>
> There are many known use cases for the task scheduler like a task
> regularly checking for updates, or a task executed on user logon,
> or a task being executed on a network connection. For a list of
> various tasks you could check system32\tasks on any Vista+ system,
> there are pretty interesting examples in there.

I still think this needs more thought. Having triggers that only happen
while some other random Windows app is running doesn't strike me as
particularly useful.

I also don't think that this limited usefulness justifies the cost of
running the service in every single Wine session. It should be started
only when there are actually tasks to schedule.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org