Fwd: Build a World - a sophisticated OpenGL Windows and Linux native game - can it be any help with WINE?

Mateusz 'DevSH' Kielan devsh.graphicsprogramming at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 09:58:35 CDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Build a World - a sophisticated OpenGL Windows and Linux
native game - can it be any help with WINE?
Date: 	Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:36:31 +0000
From: 	Mateusz Kielan <devsh.graphicsprogramming at gmail.com>
To: 	ulrich.czekalla at utoronto.ca

I'm sorry if this email seems kind of rushed (originally planned to send
to wine-devel but didnt want this email to go public).

This is more of a loose proposition towards CodeWeavers rather than the
wine developer community

We at "Sodan Design" are developing relatively complicated video game
called Build a World

www.buildaworld.net <http://www.buildaworld.net>
http://www.youtube.com/user/wwwbuildaworldnet/videos?view=0&flow=grid
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Build-A-World/284152794990875?fref=ts
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1895183955/build-a-world

We are soon going to release our linux build to our alpha testers, I'm
the graphics programming and we had a native 32bit linux build since I
started working on the game.

Now, I would imagine that you would very much benefit from analyzing a
program which has *ALMOST* exactly the same codepath on linux as it does
on linux (with the exception of a few things like threading).

Right now we use the following technologies (listing more unusual stuff):
--OpenGL compatibility
--OpenGL 3.0 extensions
--OpenGL 4.2 tessellation shaders through extensions
--OpenGL Geometry shaders
--OpenGL 3D textures
--Boost::Libraries
--Pthreads/Windows Threads with mutices
--google protocol buffers
--libtcmalloc (Linux)
--FMOD

And in the future:
--libvpx
--possibly ffmpeg
--OpenCL (definitely) - I gather this is something wine has hickups with
(at least CUDA was difficult)
--OpenGL compute shaders

I'm sure you'd appreciate a good piece of crossplatform software to work
with, and we'd appreciate the extra linux/windows testing.

Some forms of reverse engineering will be allowed in our EULA (for
purpose of licence compliance with FFMPEG)
I'm sure if we CodeWeavers signed an NDA then we could hand over a few
nice things like executables with some debug symbols.

Even without an NDA we'd be able to give a free game account to every
CodeWeavers employee.

P.S. It would be great if we could get some publicity or at least some
mention if our 32bit windows exe gets a platinum rating or if tinkering
around with Build-a-World helps with advancing wine.