Wine Mono 4.5.4 Release

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 17:05:13 CST 2014

I have published version 4.5.4 of Wine Mono on sourceforge. Once
again, it's been about a year since the last release. I really am
trying to make these more frequent, but for various reasons it hasn't
worked out that way.

Due to some odd behavior in msi (or so I'm assuming, unfortunately I
haven't had a chance to investigate in any detail), it is necessary to
run 'wine64 msiexec /i wine-mono-4.5.4.msi' to install in a 64-bit
prefix. Installing without the wine64 uses the 32-bit version of
msiexec which somehow installs it alongside the default Wine Mono
install instead of upgrading it.

Any testing with .NET software (in particular .NET software that has
been known to work before, if anyone knows of such a thing) would be
appreciated.

The source tarball is at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/files/Wine%20Mono/4.5.4/wine-mono-4.5.4.tar.gz/download

The binary is at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/files/Wine%20Mono/4.5.4/wine-mono-4.5.4.msi/download

For developers, the source repository is at
https://github.com/madewokherd/wine-mono

Changes since 4.5.2:
 * Removed MonoGame. It was problematic because MG didn't have binary
compatibility with XNA as a goal, I didn't have time to update from
upstream, and the MS version of XNA was used anyway if it was
installed, which it usually is. I may consider including a real XNA
binary replacement if one appears, but for now I think it's better to
work on making the MS implementation work.
 * It's no longer necessary to have gmcs installed to build from a
tarball. Tarballs now include a build of Monolite for bootstrapping
the compiler, which is the same thing the Mono project does with their
tarballs. This was to avoid problems with old Mono versions not being
able to bootstrap the current compiler.
 * A -l switch was added to build-winemono.sh, which fetches an
official Monolite build and uses that to bootstrap the compiler. This
is only useful if you are building from Git and don't have a
sufficiently new gmcs to make this work.
 * The build will now abort if -t is specified and any tests fail to build.
 * The libmono build now specifies strict Dwarf2 debugging symbols, to
keep it compatible with winedbg.
 * The libmono build now specifies static libgcc, to avoid linking
errors on recent mingw.
 * We now use dllmap configuration to find MonoPosixHelper, which
eliminates some diffs from upstream and will remove the need for Wine
to mess with the PATH of .NET applications.
 * Added a Wine-specific implementation of
System.Runtime.InteropServices.RuntimeEnvironment.GetRuntimeInterfaceAsObject
and GetRuntimeInterfaceAsIntPtr.
 * Updated Mono to the master branch as of October 31, bringing in
many changes including the following:
  * Fixed use of RVA fields pointing to zeroed static data that isn't
physically in the PE file (improves managed C++ compatibility).
  * Added support for service processes using ServiceBase.Run.
  * It's now possible to change how debug output is printed via the
embedding API, which will make possible a future change to Wine to
send the output to the Unix stderr stream.
  * Beginnings of a System.Management implementation.