ntdll: Improve stub of NtQueryEaFile.

Sebastian Lackner sebastian at fds-team.de
Thu Jun 11 02:15:14 CDT 2015

On 11.06.2015 07:27, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Sure, our community is not as nice as it could be, and a lot of us are
> burned out on trying to help newbies. But the community is the sum of
> its members, that's why we need people like you, with the skill and
> motivation to help people that others may not feel like helping.
>
> So I think it's unfortunate that instead of joining us and help improve
> the behavior of the WineHQ community, you have chosen to fork your own
> separate community, and are actively encouraging people to give up on
> WineHQ and move over there.

I never encouraged anyone to give up on WineHQ, and I also haven't given up
WineHQ myself. If you mean the fact that Fedora switched to Wine Staging, I
even advised them against doing this, when they contacted us about a year ago.
In fact I would love to see a huge amount of our patches go upstream, and to
work more directly together with upstream developers, with the common goal to
make Wine better for the whole community.

But the problem is that noone of us has any influence to actually do the
changes we would like to see in WineHQ directly - and you know how quickly
discussions on the mailing lists usually disappear again, if they get an
answer at all. There are a lot of things where WineHQ basically doesn't pay
attention to the user or dev community at all. I am not going to list them
all here again, but if there is actually interest to improve the situation,
I will gladly talk to you or other people about these issues in detail.

> Not only is it understandably perceived as a hostile move by a number of
> veteran devs, it also doesn't solve the issue, because as I explained,
> to get patches upstream people will be required to interact with the
> community here. So this is where the problems have to be addressed.
>

>From my perspective there is nothing wrong with helping other people improving
their patches, working in a team together with other developers on fixing specific
bugs, or picking up work by authors who gave up working on a specific area long
time ago, this is basically what 99,99% of Wine Staging is about.

I hope you can understand, that we're not giving up this whole idea in a split
second, even if there are people who don't like it. I am still convinced that
this approach is better than just hoping for an upstream change. If / When there
is actually a change (maybe this whole discussion helps a bit, to make people
aware of the seriousness of all the problems), and it is no longer necessary
to maintain a separate repository for it, that would also be fine for all of us.

Best regards,
Sebastian