Re: po: German translation: …

Florian Pelz pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Sat Sep 5 05:39:54 CDT 2015

Hi,

I'm working on the patch series, but Wine takes time to compile. I'll
wait with the "Fragt ob" punctuation fixes though.

Some comments:

On 09/05/2015 01:19 AM, Julian Rüger wrote:
>>> "Windows-Systemkomponentenverifizierung" would be grammatically correct,
>>> I think. It's a freaking long word though...
>>
>> Yes, this looks better.
>
> Maybe "Windows-Systemkomponenten-Verifizierung" is the best compromise?

In the context of the other translations, this seems best. Then they all
end in "-Verifizierung".

>> I think "intermediate" really means "dazwischenliegend" (i.e. "in
>> between") here. I don't know about IPsec terminology, but the term
>> "intermediate" is frequently used for certificates that are not trusted
>> by themselves but signed by a trusted authority. It might be better to
>> use the English word though. I cannot find anyone using the German
>> "dazwischenliegend" on the Web.
>
> Oh, right. In that case, "Intermediär" would be best, wouldn't it?

Yes. It's also actually used on the Web. I'll also use this for the
Zwischenzertifizierungsstellen -> Intermediäre Zertifizierungsstellen
for consistency.

>>> #: winerror.mc:3536
>>>  msgid "Security package error.\n"
>>> -msgstr "Sicherheitspaket Fehler.\n"
>>> +msgstr "Sicherheitspaket-Fehler.\n"
>>>
>>> "Sicherheitspakets-Fehler"? "Fehler im Sicherheitspaket"?
>>>

>> This does not need an s just like "Paketzusteller" does not need an s.
> I still like my second suggestion best. ;) Totally gut-feeling again, though.

This probably depends on where you live. I'd never say "Paketsfehler" or
"Paketszusteller", even though there are people who do. A Google search
makes the s seem much less common. The word should be left as it is.

>> I don't think Wine Internet Explorer is supposed to be a proper name.
>> Internet Explorer is a proper name. This is the Wine-'Internet Explorer'
> That was what I meant.
>> and because of Durchkopplung this becomes Wine-Internet-Explorer.
>
> Never heard of it, had to look it up. You seem to really know your
> stuff.

I've only known that this rule exists. The term Durchkopplung is
something I looked up as well ;) . It's frequently done "wrong" on
street signs…

> It is still ambiguous, according to the paragraph on Wikipedia
> (Eigennamen), but you convinced me. My comment wasn't meant as a request
> to change it in the first place, just curiosity. :)

It's not ambiguous. It depends on whether we want Wine Internet Explorer
to look like a proper name in itself. I don't think we do. (Actually, we
probably don't want Internet Explorer to be used like a proper name
anyway. I'm not sure about trademark implications?)
Wine-Internet-Explorer seems best. An Explorer for the Internet that is
part of Wine.

The name Internet Explorer may even be (part of) the reason so many
people confuse the World-Wide Web with the Internet. Changing it to Wine
Web Explorer doesn't seem like a good idea though.

>>>  #: ipconfig.rc:49
>>>  msgid "Default gateway"
>>> -msgstr "Standard Gateway"
>>> +msgstr "Standard-Gateway"
>>>
>>> "Standardgateway"?
>>
>> Maybe. Separating the English part of the word does not look bad though.
>> I don't think this needs changing.
>
> "Standardgateway" is an established term, afaik. (See i.e.
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_%28Informatik%29 )

Yes. You convinced me.

>>> #: net.rc:37
>>>  msgid "The %1 service is starting.\n"
>>> -msgstr "Der %1 Dienst startet.\n"
>>> +msgstr "Der Dienst %1 startet.\n"
>>>
>>> Why go half-way? ;)
>>> "Der Dienst '%1' startet.\n"
>>>

>> Maybe. It's longer though and less close to English. Then again, the
>> English does not look good either:
>>
>> Z:\home\florian>net start PlugPlay
>> The Plug and Play Service service is starting.
>> Service already running.
>
> Tricky one. "Der Dienst 'Plug and Play Service' startet." is perfectly
> fine, imho, but in English it's really bad.
>
>> Microsoft does not have this problem because their PlugPlay is called
>> "Plug and Play" instead of "Plug and Play Service".
>
> Way better. Anything preventing us from changing it?

Now that I looked into it a little more, Microsoft does have services
whose name ends in Service (e.g. WinHttpAutoProxySvc). I'll just put
quotes in the English version as well and we'll se if someone complains.

>> It didn't change. The 2006 rules say in 2.5 § 65 that "Das
>> Anredepronomen Sie und das entsprechende Possessivpronomen Ihr sowie die
>> zugehörigen flektierten Formen schreibt man groß." Yes, I looked it up
>> ;) . IMO good writing style is more important anyway though.
>
> My mistake. (There is a 2006 "neue Rechtschreibung"? Wow, I meant the
> 1996 one... Not that new anymore, is it?)

:D It's all a big mess.

>>> #: wineconsole.rc:44
>>>  msgid "wineconsole: Couldn't parse event id\n"
>>> -msgstr "wineconsole: Ereignis-ID konnte nicht geparsed werden\n"
>>> +msgstr "wineconsole: Ereignis-ID konnte nicht geparset werden\n"
>>>
>>> I'm never sure what to do in these cases. Correct German grammar would
>>> be "geparst", but that looks just awful... My personal preference is
>>> the pretty, but grammatically wrong English ending.
>>> I guess my OCD has to live with the pain ;) Let's use the correct
>>> case.
>>> Agreed?
>
> How do you like Jens' (second) suggestion? Up to you.

"Parsen der Ereignis-ID fehlgeschlagen." Jens' and your suggestions look
good.

Regards,
Florian