Automating analysis of behaioural differences between Wine and Windows?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 03:13:09 CST 2018

Hi Daniel,

My sense is that this would be legally still OK, even though it gets
very close into that "not sure" grey area. Conceptually how is this tool
different from e.g. http://www.rohitab.com/apimonitor or Wine +relay
logs? It seems that making API monitor work on Wine (if it doesn't
already) and comparing its output would get you the same things.

It does become a problem if you observe that winfoo.dll calls winbar.dll
and replicate this behaviour on Wine. That's essentially the same as
observing a native Windows library in Wine with Wine's logging tools.

I don't think comparing application runs on a large scale will be useful
though. It may be useful to answer well-defined questions like "This
game is passing incorrect parameters to IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Lock.
Does it to the same on Windows, or are we giving the game bad input?".
Applications respond to differences in the environment (language,
windows version, GPU, available hardware), so a behavioural difference
is often not a problem.

Stefan