Questiion of GSOC

Sergio Gómez Del Real sdelreal at codeweavers.com
Tue Mar 27 09:31:13 CDT 2018

Hello, guys,

On 27/03/18 09:11, Alex Henrie wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:26 PM Hua Meng <161220092 at smail.nju.edu.cn> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Alex~
>> After getting more familiar with Wine, I'm also interested in project:
> Implement Unicode string normalization.
>
>> But there is a question. I found the project has a conflict with Sergio'
> work. So I wonder whether the project is suitable for gsoc if Sergio
> complete his work.
>
> I put myself down as a possible mentor for Unicode string normalization
> without realizing that a lot of work has already been done on it. I think
> we should just let Sergio finish it. I have removed this project from the
> GSoC ideas list.
>
> -Alex

Yes, unfortunately I think I'm mostly done with the normalization stuff;
I'm currently working on getting it accepted upstream (there are a few
details missing, although I don't know if they'd be suited for a GSoC
project).
If, however, you are interested in working on something Unicode-related
for Wine, I think there is opportunity for some good things, and Unicode
can be attractive because it is relatively easy to dive into that part
of Wine (much more than other parts like wined3d, at least): there is
opportunity of working on optimizations, using Unicode tables to quickly
verify if a string is already normalized (which would imply the
implementation of the IsNormalize win-32 API function); Hangul syllable
characters haven't been really tested; there is work to do for Wine in
general to accept strings with characters with code points > 0xffff; the
FindNLSStringEx win-32 API functon must be rewritten using
NormalizeString(); among other things. If you are interested, I could
help you find a suitable project, so that then you can make the proposal
and talk to Alex about it.

- Sergio