RFC: Raw-Input Support

Forest forestcode at ixio.org
Fri Aug 2 18:13:17 CDT 2019

Derek Lesho <dereklesho52 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello, attached is a patch that adds true raw-input support for mouse
>movements, bypassing the desktop's sensitivity and mouse acceleration
>settings.

Your patchset was included in the lutris-4.12.1 build of Wine, and
presumably responsible for the two changes I noticed immediately:

1. Bug 47457 (gun jam in Overwatch) seems to be fixed.  Nice!

2. Xmodmap button mappings are ignored, so my mouse clicks in Overwatch now
produce results that are both unexpected and inconsistent with every other
program on my desktop*.  Is there a way to selectively disable your raw
input feature, or another way to remap buttons, for programs that need
consistency with the rest of the desktop more than they need true raw input?

*My personal use case: The Logitech G600 programmable mouse (oddly) doesn't
allow its middle button to be programmed as middle click.  I therefore
program the middle button to right click, the right button to middle click,
and use Xmodmap to swap them, thereby getting sane behavior.  I expect other
people use Xmodmap button mappings for other reasons, so the issue here is
probably a general one that out to have a solution.