[RFC] ntdll: Force allocations to be aligned to 64K.

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Mon Oct 28 15:28:06 CDT 2019

On Oct 28, 2019, at 1:48 PM, Derek Lesho <dlesho at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> Microsoft Powerpoint expects that free spaces be at-least 64K bytes in size, so
> internally allocating at a higher granularity can cause trouble with this assertion.
> This patch does exhaust a bit more of the address space, which is a problem on 32-bit, so
> I'm curious about what you guys think we could do instead.

We could maybe recover some of the wasted space by having Wine internal allocations sub-allocate from the excess.  That would probably be a pain to track, though.

As I understand it, Powerpoint is probing for free space by attempting memory access and looking for access violations.  We could maybe turn the excess into a Wine reserved area but make it readable.  That way, it would be free for subsequent allocations but would look reserved to Powerpoint.

-Ken