Unstripped wine-gecko trouble

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Sat Mar 28 13:09:02 CDT 2020

On 28.03.2020 17:45, Francois Gouget wrote:
> So when using the unstripped shared Gecko install, I get a lot of test
> failures. For instance mshtml:activex:
> https://test.winehq.org/data/ab0a3cb2ff5378f6ab5dd79712547dc43a484100/linux_cw-gtx560-t32/mshtml:activex.html
>
> activex.c:2766: Test failed: Too old IE
>
> I replaced the unstripped build with the regular one and that seems to
> have fixed these failures:
> https://test.winehq.org/data/123c0543e0bb4c99fbee0a568e786405ff886a93/linux_cw-gtx560-t32/mshtml:activex.html
>
> I installed the shared unstripped Gecko with:
>
> mkdir ../gecko
> cd ../gecko
> wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-gecko/2.47.1/wine-gecko-2.47.1-x86-unstripped.tar.bz2
> tar xfj wine-gecko-2.47.1-x86-unstripped.tar.bz2
>
> Did I do something wrong?

No, the unstripped version is in rather bad form, see bug 46028 for some
details. Right now, please don't use it (unless for some very specific
debugging cases).

The problem is that we provide DWARF debug symbols in DLL files and they
are huge. We could have it split into a separated files, but until very
recently, Wine debugger didn't support that. It's also easy enough to
split files in existing package if someone really needs to. Now that
Wine support debug links in PE files, using that for unstripped Wine
Gecko builds would be welcomed. The other plan is to backport llvm-mingw
Gecko fixes and provide PDB files.

Jacek