winegstreamer: Avoid Fedora and openSUSE?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue May 26 04:41:52 CDT 2020

On Mon, 25 May 2020, Paul Gofman wrote:

> On 5/25/20 15:11, Francois Gouget wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 May 2020, Paul Gofman wrote:
> > [...]
> > dnf did not find gstreamer1-libav.i686 and gstreamer1-plugins-ugly.i686.
> > Do you know which repository they come from?
> >
> Oh, those are from rpmfusion-free (https://rpmfusion.org/). I guess
> quite a lot of things in Fedora are not immediately usable without
> rpmfusion.

I added RPMFusion and installed these two packages but as expected they
do not make any difference. I also checked which other GStreamer
packages RPMFusion has but it's all plugins which is not going to make
any difference here.

Did you try the checkgst32 tool? Particularly after deleting / moving
away ~/.cache/gstreamer-1.0/registry.i686.bin.

The output from this would help figure out what's going on too:

rm ~/.cache/gstreamer-1.0/registry.i686.bin; GST_DEBUG=9 GST_DEBUG_COLOR_MODE=off ./checkgst32 2>&1| tee checkgst32.log

(look for scanner; I'd be interested in this file)

Interestingly a workaround for this issue is to delete / move away
/usr/libexec/gstreamer-1.0/gst-plugin-scanner and delete
registry.i686.bin. Then 32- and 64-bit processes alike do the scanning
themselves and both work (and recreate the registry files). Also once
registry.i686.bin has been updated gst-plugin-scanner can be moved back
in place and the plugins that are in registry.i686.bin still work. Of
course if you installed new GStreamer plugins they this procedure would
need to be repeated (and this would need to be repeated for each
account).

Also note that setting GST_PLUGIN_SCANNER / GST_PLUGIN_SCANNER_1_0 to a
bad file does not work because gstpluginloader.c then falls back to the
'installed' one.

    Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?