counterstrike and wine -- sound problem

Joachim Schiffer gemoin at gmx.net
Sun Apr 1 15:43:52 CDT 2001

Alexander Gretencord wrote:
> How the hell did you get it to run ? I get it to run with default opengl
> with 4fps ! With the 3DfxMiniGL driver (im also using under windows) I get
> a message like "The selected opengl mode is not supported" Tho everything
> works fine in Windows !!! What did you do to get it to run ?

First, i installed some packages (from console, no X running!):
Mesa-3.3-5, Mesa-devel-3.3-5 ans XFree86-libs (from the first Redhat7
CD)

Then, from http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf/Linux.html
NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-769.rh70-up.i386.rpm
NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-769.i386.rpm

the GLX package did some file-renaming, to avoid conflicts with the mesa
driver.

Most FAQs say, that you *must* remove every trace of mesa, but without
mesa, wine did *not* compile with opengl - support on my machine. It
took the whole weekend to figure that out...

Next, i removed the lines Load "dri" and Load "glcore" from my
/etc/X11/XF86config-4 and added the line Load "glx". Also i changed the
Driver "nv" line in the Device section to Driver "nvidia" (see nvidia
readme for details and troubleshooting)

To check, wheter opengl is working or not, i installed the programm
"carworld"
and it worked fine.

Then i compiled wine (Version 20010326). After untar, I did a
./configure --enable-opengl --x-include=/usr/X11R6/lib

(Without the --x-include, opengl support did not compile. This took a
long time, until i found out how it worked. I think it's redhat
specific.)

If it worked, the line
#define HAVE_OPENGL 1
must appear in wine-20010326/include/config.h

Then i did a tools/wineinstall, which compiles wine.

For the rest, i did the same things as described in the FAQ at
lhl.linuxgames.com.

(Remember to turn DesktopDoubleBuffered ON and useDGA OFF!)

Now, i have a Wine standalone (without Windows, directx 7.1 a installed,
but i think, it's not important to install directx?!) running on my
Duron 700 with 512 MB, and it runs almost as good as under windows.

The only problem I have, is the above mentioned ALSA-sound problem...

> Alex

HtH

Joachim