wine doesn't read ~/.wine/config

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Apr 2 12:50:52 CDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Juerg Tschirren wrote:

> I got Wine  release 20010326 from cvs and compiled and installed it with
> ./tools/wineinstall
>
>   I did some changes in ~/.wine/config  (changed the path to my floppy
> drive). But it seems that wine is not reading ~/.wine/config. It still
> tries to reach the floppy drive through the old (wrong) path.
>
>   There is no $HOME/.winerc and no /etc/wine.conf or
> /etc/local/etc/wine.conf file on my system. And copying ~/.wine/config to
> these locations didn't help either.
>
> Does anybody have an idea what I am doing wrong?
>
> Juerg

Here is the easiest way I know to do that:

Script started on Mon Apr  2 13:35:24 2001
[whit at giftie whit]$ wcmd
Could not stat /mnt/flotz (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
WCMD Version 0.15

C>exit
[whit at giftie whit]$ sed 's/flotz/floppy/' .wine/config |safe .wine/config
[whit at giftie whit]$ wcmd
Could not stat /mnt/flotz (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
[whit at giftie whit]$ killall -HUP clock
[whit at giftie whit]$ wcmd
WCMD Version 0.15

C>exit
[whit at giftie whit]$ exit

Script done on Mon Apr  2 13:37:45 2001

If you leave a wineserver running (some wine job or winelib program is
still running) nothing you do to config makes any difference (wineserver
has already read it).  I did that by running clock at a different tty.
After I killed clock,  wineserver terminated, so the next wcmd ran with
the corrected config file.

You could do it by setting WINEPREFIX, too, or running wine as a
different user than you think you are.

Lawson
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!