A question about Starcraft IPX

Daniel Foesch krach42 at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 23:14:29 CDT 2001

>I don't know if I should be posting this here, and if this newsgroup
>is the incorrect one, could someone point me in the right direction?
>
>Just a question, I have SC working fine on my linux box
>with wine.. but when I go to play a LAN game with IPX
>
>ipx_interface add -p eth0 802.2 0A0A0A00:09
>ipx_route add 0A0A0A00 0A0A0A00 0A0A0A09
>
>it see's the game, but is "Unable to join game"
>
>the host that I'm trying to talk to is 10.10.10.9 (a win98 box on a
>class C 10.10.10.0)
>am I doing something wrong??
>
>any help would be much appriciated.
>
>P.S. my ip on eth0 is NOT 10.10.10.9
>
>_nick

Ethernet is _NOT_ the same as IP address, the server you're trying to contact
has the IP address of 10.10.10.9

Ethernet works completely different.  The way Ethernet works is it takes a node
address, (which is assigned to your network card, and "can't be changed" (not
exactly correct)  The number you assign to your card in your ipx_interface is
the network address.  In Ethernet all computers that are on the same network
talk to each other, and all computers not on the network don't see each other.
Thus, in order to join an IPX game in Starcraft, you have to give your computer
the same network address # as the windows machines.

How do you find the network address #? Well, it could be anything, but
actually, it's pretty easy, because windows has a default value: 0.   Run this:

ipx_interface add -p eth0 802.2 0

don't do the ipx_route, you shouldn't need it.

Once you do this, you're set to go, and your linux box's Starcraft should be
able to join the windows Starcraft.

Daniel "Krach" Foesch