BG 2 shows "List index out of bounds (-1)"

Malte Cornils malte at cornils.net
Thu Apr 5 08:45:53 CDT 2001

Hi,

I'm trying to run Baldur's Gate 2 from Bioware here; I installed
natively under Windows since the installer would fail. I've been
using winesetuptk on a Debian unstable system with latest Wine
packages; before starting, I purged my previous wine setup and my
user files so I would get a clean start. The winesetuptk found my
native Win95 partition (on which BG2 works well) and uses that
registry.

When starting BG under Wine, BG2 detects it hasn't already been
started somehow (dunno why; I have started BGConfig directly now
since the error lies there) and tries to run the BGConfig program.
This loads for a while and then displays a message box with "List
index out of bounds (-1)" in it. Clicking on Ok ends BG2.

I have tried to produce a usable trace, but +relay filled up the
last 2 Gigs of my filesystem and +all,-relay did the same. I have
played around with the parameters and I get a reasonably-sized log
file (180 kB compressed, last part 8 kB compressed) with the
parameters

mcornils at wh36-b407:/mnt/misc/Bg2$ wine --debugmsg
+all,-relay,-heap,-string,-win32,-gdi,-region,-local,-font,-text,-dc
BGConfig.exe > /tmp/bglog.txt 2>&1

Maybe someone could have a look at why this message box is
generated? I have cut everything from the first occurence of the
"List index out of bound (%d)" string since the message box drawing
itself should be rather uninteresting. If you need a log with one or
two debug options activated again, just tell me.

I have put the logs up on a website:
http://wwwrzstud.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uhwe/bgsmall.txt.gz
for the last part and
http://wwwrzstud.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uhwe/bglog.txt.gz
for the full glory.

Without any --debugmsg, I just get a few

fixme:commctrl:InitializeFlatSB stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub

lines which vanished when using native commctrl and comctl32 (but
the message box remains).

Any ideas?

-Malte #8-)