Whining about Wine

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Apr 9 12:15:34 CDT 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, alesclandre wrote:

> Well, i did research newsgroup content before asking the question, and i
> would not ask if my problem was solved ! But i
> found no satisfying answer, i do not understand what the problem is, so i
> do not understand the solutions proposed.
> I have already checked ld.so.conf, also looked at wine.conf, i guess my

That is not going to supply a libc version that is not present on your
system.

> problem is elsewhere, and i did not understand anything about the
> libc.so.6 file which is not even written in plain language !

Of course libc.so.6 is not in plain language.  It is a C runtime
library.  The dynamic linker can read it fine.

> So if somebody who has understood the preceding threads could explain what
> is wrong to a novice linux red hat 7.0 user, i would be very thankful !
>
> (hey, every time i write something in newsgroups, there is one guy with
> end prefix .de who tells me i have stupid questions ! What is this
> devilish country or organisation ?)

Where did you get wine?  Did you not see a README or so saying the
version you picked was linked with glibc-2.2 and WOULD NOT RUN on any
current stable distro I know of?

If you are too idle to compile your own software, you must pay a little
attention to libc versions.  glibc is pretty nicely backward compatible,
meaning you can run a program that was linked with an earlier version of
glibc on a system that has a later one, but the reverse is not true.  If
you link wine with glibc-2.2, it is going to use and need features of
glibc-2.2 that are not available in glibc-2.1.3, which is probably what
you have (do

ls -l /lib/libc.so.6
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           13 Feb  3 01:50
/lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.1.3.so

to see.  That is from my mongrel distro that is approximately Mandrake
7.2, so RH 7.0 is likely similar.)

Either get the wine source (that is the _only_ way the Wine project
releases Wine) and brew it yourself, or pay attention to libc
version when you are picking a bottled variety.

Okay, libc.so.6 is glibc-2.x.x, or perhaps better to say, glibc-2.x.x
serves a linux system as libc.so.6.  Very confusing.  Tough.

Lawson

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so
ingenious.
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.