DLL at fixed location and memory sharing between executables

Bill Medland medbi01 at accpac.com
Tue Apr 10 16:31:07 CDT 2001

Is there a way to get the following to work under WINE? (i.e. to get two
executables to share global memory as they do under windows)

We have a DLL that is at a specified memory location.

At the top of the code a variable is declared as follows:

#pragma   data_seg( "global_mem" )
#pragma   bss_seg( "global_mem" )

unsigned uAttachmentCount = 0;

Now..
The main program links to that DLL and as part of the DllMain it increments
that count.
The main program executes another program.  That other program also links
to that DLL.
Under Windows the DLL is loaded into a single space in memory and the
second executable increments the variable from 1 to 2.
Under Wine (the way I currently have it set up) the second executable
increments it from zero to 1.
This indicates to me that the executables are actually running in some sort
of separate virtual machines.

Is there any way for me to configure Wine so that both processes use the
same memory?

Bill Medland