Problem starting wine

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Apr 15 19:22:33 CDT 2001

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Neeraj Khandelwal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie here. I am trying to run wine on Mandrake 7.1. I get the
> following error:
>
> Warning: could not find wine.conf [Drive x] entry for current working
> directory /home/nk; starting in windows directory.
> Invalid path 'c:\windows' for temp directory
> Perhaps you have not properly edited or created your Wine configuration
> file.
> This is either /etc/wine.conf or $HOME/.winerc
>   or it is determined by the -config option or from
>   the WINE_INI environment variable.
> Wine has used /home/nk/.winerc as configuration file.
>
> I have put the following contents in the /etc/wine.conf ( and also in
> /home/nk/.winerc) :
>
> [Drive x]
> Path=/mnt/windows
> Type=hd
> Filesystem=win95
>
> [wine]
> Windows=x:\windows
> System=x:\windows\system
> Temp=x:\temp
>
> I used minimal config options for testing. Please let me know what I am
> missing.
>

> thanks
> Neeraj

Besides using a version of wine that is so old I don't remember what it
was like, you are misrepresenting either the error message or the config
file.  The directory you name in Temp= must exist on the underlying *nix
filesystem.  If the config file is true, you can fix that by typing at
the command line:

mkdir /mnt/windows/temp

Are there really directories /mnt/windows/windows and
/mnt/windows/windows/system?  There could be, if you have a windows
partition mounted on /mnt/windows, which would be a mandrake-acceptible
place to put it, or if you made them yourself.

Lawson

This message is brought to you by Wine-20010326, junopine-2.0.2,
Juno 2.0.11, and pine-4.10
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.