A lot of questions

Ove Kaaven ovehk at ping.uio.no
Fri Apr 20 13:41:39 CDT 2001

On 20 Apr 2001, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> Bernd Schubert <bernd.schubert at student.uni-halle.de> wrote:
> : Dear fellow wine users,
>
> : I have some questions.
>
> : 1)
> : First of all I would like to know if there is a message archive for the
> : older messages and where can I find it.
>
> For the news, messages are archived at www.deja.com . Due to google buying
> deja, reachability might not be good at some times. Wine related mailing
> lists are archived at www.winehq.com

since the news is gatewayed to the wine-users mailing list...

> : 3)
> : When I tried to use the lastest cvs wine the I could't use wine via remote
> : display and I got the following messages:
>
> : X Error of failed request:  XF86VidModeExtensionDisabled
> :   Major opcode of failed request:  134 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
> :   Minor opcode of failed request:  14 (XF86VidModeSetClientVersion)
> :   Serial number of failed request:  181
> :   Current serial number in output stream:  182
>
> : The xserver is running on the pc with ati graphics card and the option not
> : to load dga extension might be enabled or disabled, both give the same
> : result.
> : I really don't know which other option is for enabling the
> : VidModeExtension, so any help is greatly appcriciated.
>
> Some X related things can only run local...

But Wine should be able to run remotely... VidMode is tested in x11drv
startup, but I don't understand why it would be a problem, since the code
explicitly queries for the extension before it uses it. Maybe it's
necessary to look at the Xlib source code?

> : 4)
> : Another question is about using codeweavers wine and MSOffice 97. When I
> : try to load more than one program from MSOffice the second program crashes
> : immediately at loading the second program. Running only one program works
> : fine.

Looks like something like this was just diagnosed on wine-devel.