Which wine do I download?

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sat Apr 21 01:37:00 CDT 2001

On 21 Apr 2001, Emperoroftheice5 wrote:

| Ok, This is kind of a stupid question. I've worked with Windows
| for awhile, but I really don't like it. Linux was suggested by a
| friend of mine. I've got Linux Mandrake 7.1 deluxe, and I'm not sure
| which version of wine I should download.  Any suggestions would be
| helpful. Thanx.
|
| Jeremiah Holland Emperoroftheice5 at cs.com

If you mean to help out with wine development, you should of course get
the source and build your own.

If you just want to use wine, you should still get the source and build
it yourself, so you will know what the rest of us are talking about by
"read <wine>/README" and "It's in <wine>/documentation/configuring.sgml"

Just install all the program development options of your Mandrake 7.1,
and the -devel extensions of glibc, XFree86, xpm and ncurses, and you
will be fine to build wine from the source.  And please, do read
<wine>/README :-).

from the following locations:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20010418.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/linux/sunsite/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20010418.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/linux/mirrors/sunsite.unc.edu/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-20010418.tar.gz
  ftp://orcus.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/Wine/development/Wine-20010418.tar.gz

It should also be available from any other site that mirrors ibiblio.org.
For more download locations, see http://ftpsearch.lycos.com. These
locations also hold pre-built documentation packages in various
formats: wine-doc-html.tar.gz, wine-doc-txt.tar.gz, wine-doc.pdf.gz
and wine-doc.ps.gz.

You can also get the current source directly from the CVS tree. Check
http://www.winehq.com/dev.html for details.

Lawson

This message is brought to you by Wine release 20010418,
junopine-2.0.2, Juno 2.0.11, pine-4.10, and linux-2.4.3.
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.