could not exec wineserver

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Apr 22 18:24:12 CDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, David wrote:

> > Dif you run ldconfig after installtin wine and the changes to
> > ld.so.conf? Is a programm called "wineserver"  accessible in your path?
> > Is it the right one?
> 1--Yes, I did run /sbin/ldconfig after having changed /etc/ld.so.conf.
> 2--I added /opt/wine/bin to /etc/ld.so.conf and reran /sbin/ldconfig but
> that didn't solve the problem.

Of course it didn't.  /etc/ld.so.conf contains directories where the
dynamic linker will look to resolve library references.  It has nothing
to do with finding a binary to exec.

> Then, I added a symlink in /usr/bin:
> wineserver to /opt/wine/bin/wineserver, and that solved the problem!!
> Thanks a lot!

/usr/bin is normally in the path, so that symbolic link makes the
wineserver accessible in the path.  That works.  You could also add
/opt/bin/wine to the path, but I don't feel like writing a treatise on
shell initialization just now.  Read man bash or the man page for
whatever shell you use if you want to know about it.

Lawson
--cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.