Runtime error with winelib and CreateMutex()

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Apr 23 12:34:33 CDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Jerry Thomas wrote:

> lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote:

> > Whose clever idea was winelauncher?
>
> Squeeze me?

Actually, winelauncher is much better supported by wine now, and with
the current ftp release 20010418, it will run winelib apps without any
fuss.  _my_ little winelib app that expects to read *nix stdin doesn't
work as I want it to from winelauncher, but that doesn't upset me.

> > It has wrapped the wine executable inside a shell script, so when you
> > think you are running wine you are really running what I know as
> > winelauncher.  I don't know how that is 'spoze to work for winelib
> > programs, but I don't think it accounts for you trying to make a winelib
> > program of your own.
>
> Should I not be using Codeweaver's wine then?  I though the whole idea of
> winelib
> was to build and run Win32 apps on UNIX.  I'm not sure I can face trying to do
> this
> with the big app I am really wanting to port.

I think the idea of the Codeweavers' wine is to make wine more
accessible to non-programmers.  I use wine configured and built locally
from source, but you will of course do what you like.  Really, winelib
is easy.  Even I can work it, with help from winemaker :-).

> > try (in the directory where WinelibTest.so is)
> >
> > WINEPRELOAD=./WinelibTest.so /opt/wine/bin/wine.bin
>
> Core dump.  Hmmm...
>

> 1130 ~/Work/Wine/WinelibTest$ rm WinelibTest
> 1131 ~/Work/Wine/WinelibTest$ ln -s /opt/wine/bin/wine.bin WinelibTest
> 1132 ~/Work/Wine/WinelibTest$ ls -l WinelibTest
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 jto      jto            22 Apr 23 16:46 WinelibTest ->
> /opt/wine/bin/wine.bin
> 1133 ~/Work/Wine/WinelibTest$ WinelibTest
> wine: could not exec wineserver
> 1134 ~/Work/Wine/WinelibTest$ ls -l /opt/wine/bin/wineserver
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       101744 Mar  8 13:20
> /opt/wine/bin/wineserver

You are going to make me fight for each little bit of progress, aren't
you?

It seems /opt/wine/bin isn't in your PATH, so exec can't find it.
I still don't feel like writing a shell initialization tutorial, so if
you won't read the man page for the shell (okay, it is a bit long, but
you can scan it for points that interest you) and you like symbolic
links, just try this:

ln -s /opt/wine/bin/wineserver /usr/bin/wineserver

Hmmm, "echo $PATH" first to make sure /usr/bin is on it, or pick a
directory that is.

Script started on Mon Apr 23 13:27:42 2001
[whit at giftie whit]$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
[whit at giftie whit]$ exit
exit

Script done on Mon Apr 23 13:28:32 2001

Lawson