Help running Caesar 3

J R bullwinkle at bothanspy.com
Sat Apr 28 22:40:32 CDT 2001

Hello, I'm trying to get Caesar 3 running on my linux machine, but it always hangs while loading.  I installed Caesar 3 on my windows machine and them copied the files to the linux box, and updated the registry so it points to the right drives, etc.  Wine works fine on other apps.  When I try to run "wine c3.exe:" it starts up fine, and begins to load.  It goes through several load screens until the "loading sounds" it seems to load the sounds, (it will prompt for the CD if it's not in), but then hangs.  The only thing visible is the picture of a roman soldier pointing to the right and a blank white rectangle in the center of the screen.  Two messages are printed on the terminal:

fixme:ddraw:Main_DirectDraw_SetCooperativeLevel (0x403d37ac)->(0000138,00000013)
fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x403d5238,00000138,2):stub

I compiled wine-20010326 from source with no errors.  I do not have a windows installation or windows partition, but just use /ust/local/lib/win ( to which i have full privilages) as my C drive.  My ~/.wine/config is exactly the same as wineinstall generated, except /cdrom is changed to /mnt/cdrom to work.  I'm running Redhat 7.0.  If you need more information just ask.

Thanks for the help,
                   James R