A philosophical question on the Windows Shell.

The Ghost In The Machine ewill at lexideb.athghost7038suus.net
Tue Aug 7 12:24:26 CDT 2001

Note subject change.

In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine, Brandon Kilgore
<bkilgore at numa-inc.com>
 wrote
on Mon, 06 Aug 2001 11:04:52 -0400
<5.1.0.14.2.20010806110254.00aa61a0 at surestore>:
>Wine is not designed to give you a windows environment (i.e. Windows
>explorer shell), but rather allow you to run windows programs in the X
>Windows environment.  To run a windows program, simply make sure the files
>are in disk directory that you set up during the wine install, and type
>wine program.exe (replacing program.exe with the exucatable you are trying
>to run).

OK, very dumb question here, which may not be relevant to this
Anthony's, but:

Would there be a problem in running a task which gives one "the
Windows environment"?  I've no idea what the official name is in Win2k,
but the Shell seems to be the term used, and in any event something
has to maintain the background.  Most likely it's an IE offshoot...

Not necessarily a technical problem (although those exist, too,
last time I checked, which was awhile ago), but a legal one?
Or some other issue?

It's possible no one would want to anyway, but I occasionally
get the feeling I'm "rebooting" Windows every time I run Wine;
it's setting up, running the program, and then tearing down
when the program exits.  Perhaps part of this can be helped
via Wineserver, but I do wonder.

>  - Brandon
>
>At 02:33 PM 8/6/01 +0000, Anthony Brice wrote:
>>I have installed Red hat 7.1 on my Ultra Hinote laptop. I was quite
>>proud to get my sound working and ethernet/modem card working and X

[snip for brevity]

>>How my the way I was thinking of installing wine so I could run my Lotus
>>Notes client on it.

[.sigsnip]

--
ewill at aimnet.com -- insert random misquote here