Wine call graph; wineserver; the "big picture".

phi at icon.co.za phi at icon.co.za
Tue Aug 14 09:56:08 CDT 2001

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while now with a view to starting work on wine -
specifically COM and DCOM. I know some people have started some work and
there might be some patent issues with COM at least - so maybe DCOM is a
better bet (I had the possibly niave idea of implementing COM via DCOM -
it would be almost transparent, slower but less "dangerous").

I've read most of the developer docs and some relevant source but I'm
still having problems grokking the interrelationships between different
parts of wine and the role(s) of wineserver. I have a general
understanding of Win32 from a programatic point of view rather than wine's
implementation details. While I'm quite willing to "read the source"
there's rather a lot of it :) and rather deep dependencies (even with tags
one jumps around for a while trying to understand what does what).

Does anyone have a call graph for wine or a (decent, open-source) program
for making one. I've considered Source-Navigator but it seems like the
required database would be twice the size of the wine source!

Since (D)COM affects many parts of function and message handling and
process address space tampering I considered the less ambitious project of
fixing up (Net)DDE first - at least then the all-important Hearts will run
networked. Is anyone actively working on that (the source has sporadic
updates)? I don't want to start hacking off on a tangent. The different
behaviours of win9x and NT will also be a problem since I don't have a
real NT installation

Also, what do people use in terms of test-suites? custom win32 apps?
free/shareware? While I have quite a few larger apps like Office etc I
imagine it's better to try smaller, more specific apps at first. I want to
do comparisons and communication with Win95/8 in VMWare and don't really
want to _purchase more Win32 apps_ for testing!

Thanks for any experience or insight you might share.

Phillip