microsoft sql query analyzer

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Aug 20 18:01:34 CDT 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Ibrahim Hamouda wrote:

> I'm trying to get MSSQL Query analyzer to work
> it loads up i can enter the sql server name and user name and password.
> in the sql client utility it is setup for tcpip with an alias for the
> server name and the ip address.
> it tries to connect then comes back with an error:
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL SERVER DRIVER][TCP?IP SOCKET]General network error
>
> odbc32 is native
> wsock32 is native
> winsock is native

Sorry, I have been a bit busy lately, and I'm not too sure about this,
but you left out the bit about native winsock/wsock32 from your
complaint to wine-devel.  I wouldn't use native anything wine has a
builtin of, unless the app refuses to run with the wine builtin.  AFAIK
Wine's winsock and wsock32 are fairly functional - but all wine sockets
are implemented using linux sockets.  IOW, your linux box has to be
connected to the windows box as itself, not expecting to use some
windows functionality to connect.  I sort of doubt that native winsock
and wsock32 will work.  builtin odbc32 might be worth a try.  If your
app uses msvcrt, native msvcrt might very well help.  My app needs that
and riched32 and mfc42.

> any ideas
>
> Ibrahim Hamouda

Lawson