Netraverse Win4Lin in trouble or out of busienss?

Duane Clark junkmail at junkmail.com
Fri Aug 24 10:38:28 CDT 2001

Peter McConnell wrote:
> Jethro wrote:
>
>>Well, others have speculated that vmware may be trying to run their
>>competition out of town, which is probably true to some extent.
>>
>>You got win4lin to run on a 486? I've tried kde with mandrake on a 133
>>mhz machine and any gui stuff is unbearably slow. What window manager
>>are you using? If I could get win4lin to work on my 133, they might
>>get another sale because that'd make my old computer useful again.
>>(windows runs much faster on my 133 btw)
>>

> Blackbox icewm Another level or window maker have it on speed for window
> managers
> Try with these packages siag (spreadsheet and word processor) xfm(file
> manager)
>
> As far as win4lin. if you have the windows dlls wine runs word excell
> and windows media player 6.4 (and as a plugin for netscape 4.08). I cant
> imagine having a need for vmware or win4lin.
>                                                              Peter

The main place where vmware will probably always be needed, at least by
me, is for programs that use VXDs. In my case, software that uses
flexlm, or some other licensing scheme. And there are still a couple of
regular windoze programs that don't work right under wine :-) Though I
must say the rate of improvement, except for performance:-( , in recent
months has been quite dramatic, despite the occasional "bloodbath" on CVS.

--
My real email is akamail.com at dclark (or something like that).