IPX support in Starcraft - Why can't I get it working?

David Bronaugh dbronaugh at linuxboxen.org
Mon Dec 3 03:30:26 CST 2001

On Sun, 02 Dec 2001 22:48:37 John Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 01:19:34 -0500, David Bronaugh wrote:
>
> > I can't seem to get IPX going in Starcraft. It gives me "Unable to
> > initialize network provider" in a pretty dialog box (as per usual). I
> > have IPX in kernel, the interface configured for 802.2 frame type, and
> > some IPX RIP/SAP daemon going. The kernel's IPX is configured without
> > the "Full internal IPX network" thing. Apparently (from my reading)
> this
> > would be a bad thing. I compiled wine, and it says it finds "GNU style
> > IPX support". I'm gathering that's a good thing.
> >
> > Any ideas? I haven't seen many people commenting on this... I've been
> > using WINE 20011108.
> >
> > David Bronaugh
> >
> > ps: If you have any suggestions to help debug this, please throw em
> this
> > way.. I'm looking for some insight into this if possible, not
> > necessarily just a fix.
> >
> The way I got Starcraft to work with IPX was by running Starcraft as
> root.
> Also, make sure all workstations are configured with the same IPX network
> address (i.e. 0x12345678).
>
> HTH
>
> John

Thanks for the suggestion, but running it as root makes no difference - it
still doesn't work. Also, since I don't even get to a pointe where I could
look for another game or have others join my game, there's not much point
in setting the IPX network address on the workstations.

I'm running kernel 2.4.14 stock. The point at which this happens is when I
select "IPX network game" or such in the Starcraft multiplayer menu and
hit "OK" or equivalent. I configured my workstation with the bogus IPX
address. The others do not at this point matter.

This is on a K6-III/550 with 128M RAM and a 20G HD (which isn't full). I
hope that'll satisfy any other questions. I've tried this with and without
the RIP/SAP daemon running (I don't know if it'd make a difference).

David Bronaugh