IPX support in Starcraft - Why can't I get it working?

gerard patel g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid
Mon Dec 3 15:16:06 CST 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:30:13 -0800, David Bronaugh
<dbronaugh at linuxboxen.org> wrote:

>Thank you. Now, what registry entries would those be? Once I have 'em,
>I'll be on the road here...

I don't know your app, but it's often possible to find which registry
entries are needed by an application by running it with -debugmsg
+relay, then searching in the trace file  for the

advapi32.RegCreateKey
advapi32.RegOpenKey
advapi32.RegQueryValue

and, having found one, look if the return value is 2
(retval=00000002)
that means that the entry is missing.

Then one thing helps, most programmers are giving names
that have at least some sense, so the Regxxx Api call may
have something like 'IPX' in the parameters.

OTOH it's difficult to imagine the correct *value* to set in the
registry file, but that's when it's interesting to ask to someone
having a Windows box to take a look at the registry to find what
the values are supposed to be so that the app works.

It's complex, but when you have found the solution, you can
go to the Wine application database and update it so that other
people after you will not have the same problem (or maybe find
that the answer was already here since years ;-))

Gerard