IPX support in Starcraft - Why can't I get it working?

Glenn Schrader geschrader at mediaone.net
Tue Dec 4 16:53:37 CST 2001

gerard patel wrote:

>On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 18:08:12 -0800, David Bronaugh
><dbronaugh at linuxboxen.org> wrote:
>
>>OK, I logged all the debug messages, and grepped for "advapi". Results of
>>that are up at http://bronaugh.linuxboxen.org/morecrap.txt - I didn't find
>>it very helpful. It seemed to look for some pretty strange keys, nothing
>>to do with Netware or IPX (the two most likely candidates in my opinion).
>>

>Incidently it shows that crypto functions are called.
>Needless to say, Wine does not support anything of Ms
>crypto :-) So it could be that IPX fails because really
>IPX is used to communicate on the network, and network
>communication relies on crypto. I don't know the app at
>all, but it seems likely.
>So, could it be that people using Starcraft on a network
>use a different version without crypto ?
>
>Gerard

I've been successfully running Starcraft in multiplayer LAN mode and it
uses IPX
with NO crypto. A while back I attempted to connect to BattleNET and
debug the
problems but it complains about needing the crypto dll (as you've said)
and maybe
some other stuff.  I didn't get very far.
---
Glenn Schrader