Compiling winelib on SPARC

David Lee Lambert lamber45 at egr.msu.edu
Tue Dec 4 16:30:31 CST 2001

"D. C. Sessions" wrote:
> In <slrn9vq8ou.qe4.harri.haataja at melkki.cs.Helsinki.FI> Harri J Haataja posted:
>
> > Sanand Patel wrote:
> >>Does the latest winelib compile and work on the Sparc? Are there any special
> >>patches/instructions for this?
> >>
> >>Are there any mirrors that have the precompiled binary winelib for Sparc?
> >
> > A few words sprint to mind:
> > "Why on earth?"
>
> Because some companies have internally-generated applications that depend
> on Windows libraries, and WineLib would (theoretically) allow them to
> get them off of WinTel machines and onto (e.g.) Sun servers.
>
> A highly admirable objective, IMHO.
> Especially if used as a pilot project (Wine as RAD port.)

In fact,  this has been a stated objective for a long time.  I rather
think that in-house apps are most likely to be done in a higher-level
system,  such as Delphi (note that Borlad is/has ported it to Linux) or
Visual Basic,  or else written using fairly standard console-mode
semantics,  but no tool can hurt (right?).

Hrrm...  I've been doing a lot with SPARC assembler this semester.  I
should probably give this a try... Is it crazy to write a Windows
program to be a graphical interface to an emulator of the SPARC CPU,
and then port it to the SPARC using Winelib?

--
DLL